Fort St. Angelos was built in 1505 by the first Portuguese viceroy, Don Francisco De Almeida, with the permission of the Kolathiris, on a promontory jutting into the Lakshwaseep sea. The Dutch captured the fort in 1663 and sold it to the Ali Raja of kannur in 1772 and in 1790 it came into the possession of the British. The British rebuilt it and made it their most important station in malabar. This fort is in a fairly good state of preservation, though parts of it have collapsed.
Payyambalam beach is one of the beautiful beaches in Kerala and is an ideal place to spend evenings, irrespective of seasons. It is very near to kannur town. The mortal remains of swadeshabhimani Ramakrishna pilla, A.K. Gopalan, K.P. Gopalan, Pambanmadhavan and K. G. Marar are laid to rest near this beach.
Light house situated near the government guest house is an interesting place to visit in kannur. The view from the top of the light house is spectacular. You can also visit the light house Museum and musical fountain here. Open from 10am to 5pm. Enquiries: 9207705500
Arakkal museum is all about the Arrakal family, the only Muslim Royal Family in Kerala. The museum is actually a section of the Arakkalkettu. Open every day except Monday from 10:00am-5:30pm. Tel: 0497-2734479.
Mappila Bay a natural fishing harbour lying near Fort St. Angelos. A sea wall projecting from the fort separates the rough sea and inland water. This bay was famous during the Kolathiris’ regime as a commercial harbour that linked Kolathunadu with Lakshadweep and foreign countries. Today, Mapilla bay has turned into a modernised fishing harbour, developed under Indo-Norwegian pact.
Muzhappilangad Beach (15.5kms from Kannur) Black rocks protect this long, clean beach from the currents of the deep, making it shallow and calm. A swimmer’s paradise, perhaps this is kerala’s only drive-in beach. Where you can drive the entire length of 4km
There are 2 water theme parks in Kannur.
1) Sadhoo Merry kingdom. 8.9 kms from Kannur Town, this aesthetically done park has been a favorite entertainments for children as all as adults. Tel: 9048506041
Temples, churches and mosques: Apart from the 1200 Kavi (smaller temples), there are few hundreds of major powerful Temples in Kannur. Some of major Temples are SreeSunderashwara, KadalayiSreeKrishna, Kalarivadhkkal Devi, RajaRajeshwara, Perlassery Subramanya & Sree Parassini Muthappan Temple. Most of the churches in Kannur are centuries old. St. John’s Church in the cantonment Area is one among them. Mosques: Kannur is the home for many ancient historic mosques. The city juma masjid in Kannur city and the moideen mosque of historic significance.
Theyyam is a popular ritual dance form of worship of North Kerala. Theyyam is a living cult with several thousand-year-old traditions, rituals and customs. The performance is very vibrant and colourful. There are around 400 different theyyams performed at more than 1000 temples in North Kerala during the Theyyam season. There is daily Theyyam dance performance at parassiniKadavu muthappan Temple. To know about the Theyyam happening now call: 7034221760.
Snake park at parassiniKadavu is situated 16.2 kms from Kannur. It is one of the known snake parks in the country. The park is dedicated to the preservation and conservation of snakes, most of which are becoming extinct gradually. There is a large collection of poisonous and non-poisonous snakes.
Ezhimala, the capital of the ancient mooshikakings, is considered to be ancient historical site. It is an isolated cluster of hills, forming a promontory, 32.1kms North of Kannur. A flourishing sea port and centre of trade in ancient Kerala, it was one of the major battle fields of the Chola-chera war of the 11th century. It is believed that lord Buddha had visited Ezhimala. An old mosque, believed to contain the mortal remains of Shaikh Abdul Latif, a Muslim reformist, is also located here. The hill is noted for rate medical herbs. Bordered by sea on three sides, Ezhimala has the largest Naval Academy in India.
Pazhassi Dam (36 K.M. east of Kannur) : An ideal retreat for tourists, the dam site is famous for its scenic beauty. The D.T.P.O provides pleasure boating facilities at the reservoir. Accommodation is available at the project inspection Bunglow and its dormitories.
Pythal mala (57km from Kannur Town): This enchanting hill station, situated 4,500 ft. above sea level near the Kerala-karnataka border is rich in flora and fauna. It is a 6km trek to the top of the hills.
Malayalakalgramam (28.6 K.M from Kannur): This renowned centre for arts and culture at New mahe conduct courses in painting, sculpture, music, dance and pottery.
Handloom Textile manufacturing units of Kannur: Kannur used to be called as Manchester of Hand-looms. Now the number of units has drastically decreased. You can still visit some of the working Handlooms societies of Kannur where international Quality Handloom cotton products are being manufactured. Information to visit textile factory and buy textile products kindly contact 7034221760
The British arrived in Thalaserry in 1683 and shifted their commercial capital to here from Kozhikode. In 1700, the British built the Thalaserry fort on a small hill called Tiruvellapadkunnu and in 1708, it was strengthened by increasing its height and with bastions. The fort is square structure built of laterite stone and is distinguished by its massive Ventilated walls and strong flanking bastions. The famous St. John’s Angelican church is behind this fort.
Gundert Bungalow (19.1 kms from Kannur) near Thalaserry town on the national high way at Illikunnu) Dr.HermanGundert, the reversed German Missionary, scholar, lexicographer lived in this bangalow for 20 years from 1839.it was here that one of the first malayalam dictionaries and the first malayalam newspaper Rajyasam-acharam took shape.